Subject: Re: [boost] [foreach][polygon][xpressive][bimap][ptr_container][gil][assign][typeof][msm] PRs for removing executable attribute for files
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-03-08 18:50:58

On 11/5/2017 5:18 AM, Mike Gresens via Boost wrote:
> I would suggest that any boost project should have MORE THAN ONE project
> owner.
>
> - So we would have more developers with write access to the projects
> - Pull requests with features/bugfixes could be merged
> - No stagnation in projects (or less projects than now)
> - No need for so many projects to become CMT. There would be "fallback"
> project owners.
>
> - There would be need for code reviews. Yes, for the code of project
> owners too! They should make regular merge requests to the other project
> owners.
> - In formal code reviews: not one developer against all others, but a
> team represents the project

"Project owner" means little as opposed to someone who actively wishes
to have the responsibility of making code changes to a Boost library.
Many people might say that they desire this, as you have said, but
getting knowledgeable programmers to actually accept that responsibility
and spend some time fixing bugs and merging PRs is another story. Boost
needs programmers willing to do the latter but so often Boost will get
people say that they are interested but once they realize the time they
might need to spend as an active maintainer very few are willing to do
so. So I do not think it is a problem of having more than one project
owner as much as it is a problem of finding people who are knowledgeable
and willing to contribute if they were given write access to a Boost
library repository.

Do you care to offer your service or time regarding some Boost library ?

There are still Boost libraries for which no one is actively doing
maintenance in a timely manner. When someone posts a message about why
such-and-such PR is being ignored it is almost always because the
so-called maintainer(s) for that library have been paying no attention
for a long period of time, or anymore at all, to that library.