Subject: Re: [boost] Reducing dependencies
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-04-07 13:24:07

On 7 April 2018 at 14:02, Peter Dimov via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Daniel James wrote:
>
>> IMO the problem is that detail depends on MPL. It really shouldn't be an
>> expensive dependency, and shuffling things around is just causing extra
>> complication while avoiding dealing with the real problem. Most uses of MPL
>> can be replaced with more lightweight functionality.
>

> This looks doable, the problem is that the Detail components that use MPL
> have no tests, so it won't be easy to determine whether the changes break
> something.

We can write tests if needed, but it won't be hard to work out which
modules use the various parts of detail, so we can track their tests.
Several headers are only used by one to two libraries.

Another, possibly better, solution is to not use container_fwd.php. It
doesn't do any good for libc++ and libstdc++ because of the way they
use namespaces for versioning.