Subject: Re: [boost] [concept_check] Reference page concept links out-of-date
From: Cromwell Enage (cromwell.enage_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-04-08 16:59:21

On Sun, Apr 8, 2018 at 6:07 AM, Spencer Collyer via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Not sure if this has been reported before, but any links on the
> Reference page of the concept_check library that point to SGI.com now
> take you to a page that says 'SGI.com Tech Archive Resources now retired'.

I've noticed this with links from other Boost libraries (e.g. Boost.uBlas)
to the SGI's former webpage. (Way to not go, Hewlett Packard.) I see a
few options to work around this:

1. Point the links to the last versions archived by the Wayback Machine <
web.archive.org>. It's the most immediate fix, but Boost might lose the
perception of being a cutting-edge set of libraries that doesn't point to
outdated web pages.

2. Point the links to corresponding documentation on the latest C++
standard <en.cppreference.com>. This would also require reworking the
concept checking class templates and the concept archetypes, possibly
breaking existing user code or other Boost libraries (e.g. BGL).

3. Host our own versions of those pages. It may take the longest, but we
can avoid the drawback of option 1, write new concept checking classes
instead for option 2, and have complete control over our documentation.

Waiting to hear from others...
Cromwell D. Enage