Subject: Re: [boost] [testing][regressions] All my regressions testers failing due to connection errors to GitHub
From: Ion Gaztañaga (igaztanaga_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-05-27 09:22:06

On 26/05/2018 19:08, Tom Kent via Boost wrote:
> On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 10:49 AM, Ion Gaztañaga via Boost <

> I've been having horrible problems getting all the submodules from github,
> that look similar to what you've got going. I'm not sure where the issue
> is, but I see it across linux and windows boxes at my house, but not when I
> run in a cloud data center. I'm thinking it has something to do with my
> connection (AT&T), but I'm not sure.

Looks like a GitHub problem, which is the worst case ;-) Maybe it thinks
it's a DoS attack or similar with so many connections.

> I ended up mirroring all the repos to a local machine, with a cron job to
> update them every 15 min) and then cloning from that for the regression
> runs. The script I use for that can be found here:
> https://github.com/teeks99/boost-build/blob/master/Regression/mirror_boostorg.py

Looks like I should do something similar. Many thanks for the script.

> For more backgroun, I was seeing the same failed connections over https or
> ssh. I got the script failure when even one of the submoduels failed to
> update...which I guess is necessary. Now with my script almost all runs one
> of the repos fails to fetch, but since they are all just standalone repos,
> that failures doesn't cause an overall failure.

I wonder if other GitHub projects have similar problems, but perhaps not
many projects have so many submodules. I'll have a look at your
workaround and try to do something, or else I won't be able to run
regression tests.

Many thanks!

Ion