Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost.Serialization] Crash in current master (1.68)
From: degski (degski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-07-02 17:10:30

On 2 July 2018 at 19:54, Robert via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Some of the team have updated to 15.7.4. Because of my using the older
> Microsoft version ...

You can install the preview side-by-side with the stable version, you'd
have BOBW (another advice from STL).

This may not be known to news group members here. But, the Windows Intel
> C++ compiler is heavily dependent on the Microsoft supplied standard
> library header files (e.g. from 2015: https://software.intel.com/en-
> us/forums/intel-c-compiler/topic/596318).

You said it, it's a compiler, not an implementation of a STL.

> Similarly, in a Mac oriented post, there is a dependency on the gcc header
> files (e.g. from 2013: https://software.intel.com/en-
> us/forums/intel-c-compiler/topic/366102).

Luckily I know nothing about Mac (in the same category as fuckbook.com,
twitter (I don't own a phone) and smartphones in general (fat fingers, but
my wife keeps asking me to debug her bloody Android phone, shit)).

> I have already submitted an issue with Intel that the Visual Studio 15.7.4
> headers cause Intel 18.0, Update 3 to produce thousands of spurious errors
> on the std::variant.

Yeah, I know from experience that they are very slow in reacting (if they
react at all, which is usually not the case). F.e. the way they detect the
compiler in tbb/mkl does not work with Clang/LLVM on windows, because they
do the detection (if it should work) in the wrong order (they should check
for VC first and Clang later, can't go wrong on linux/Mac), seems pretty
simple, I filed it, but it is still as it used to be.

degski

--
*"If something cannot go on forever, it will stop" - Herbert Stein*