Subject: [boost] Guidelines on copyright notice maintenance
From: Mateusz Loskot (mateusz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-07-03 23:26:32

Hi,

The license guidelines [1] include instructions on
"How should Boost programmers apply the license to source and header files?"

Unless I've missed it, there seem to be lack of guidelines about
how to maintain (existing) copyright notices.

I don't aim to resurrect the old lengthy thread from Sept 2015 on
validity of copyright notices. In that thread, however,
some guidelines or conventions were expressed:

[2] "because copyright is only claimed for changes meeting
      a certain threshold of originality"
[3] "It's up to those people to add a line if they so decide.
      Copyright only covers expressions of creativity."

Those suggests, there seem to be common understanding on if/how/when
it is recommended or even necessary to update copyright notice
in a source file of a Boost library.

Wouldn't it be helpful to captured those as guidelines in the BSL FAQ.
Would there be someone knowledgeable about it and willing to
make the update or at least explain it here?
(I will make it into HTML and PR to boostorg/website)

I understand David and Beman, primary authors of the page [1],
may no longer be available.

[1] https://www.boost.org/users/license.html
[2] https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2015/09/225565.php
[3] https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2015/09/225570.php