Subject: Re: [boost] Release notes piling up
From: Mateusz Loskot (mateusz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-07-05 07:48:20

On 5 July 2018 at 04:08, Stefan Seefeld via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 07/04/18 18:42, Mateusz Loskot via Boost wrote:
>> On 4 July 2018 at 19:14, James E. King III via Boost
>> <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>> There are 12 PRs for updating the documentation (they are going to have
>>> merge conflicts)... who is managing that for this release cycle?
>>>
>>> https://github.com/boostorg/website/pulls
>> Handling conflicts and merging is a simple task.
>> I think, it's more of an issue there are no reviews from reviewers
>> with write access that would confirm acceptance of the PRs
>> and can "count towards mergeability".
>
> What "reviews" do we expect for release notes ?

James' post starts with

"There are 12 PRs for updating the documentation"

That is all the open PRs currently, and I noticed at least one which
is not a release notes PR.

> Don't we trust that library authors know best what release notes they want to submit ?

I'm sure we do.

>> But, for instance this one, even if it seems to be based on extensive
>> discussion on the list, still not clear if it is generally approved or not
>> https://github.com/boostorg/website/pull/300
>> Should there be voting or at least PSC action taken?
>
> That one isn't a release note, so I wouldn't even count in this context.

Yes, and above I explained why I refered to it.

> (In my dream world, release notes would be collected per library, and
> the Boost website would only aggregate or syndicate them, so we wouldn't
> even have to have this discussion...)

It was actually surprising to find out that's not the case.

Best regards,