Subject: Re: [boost] [Range] 1.68 master/beta MSVC compilation error with /fpermissive-
From: degski (degski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-07-11 15:12:33

On 11 July 2018 at 17:56, Vinnie Falco via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> I couldn't disagree more (although, Boost should also be compiled with
> clang-cl if it is not discontinued).

You, I surmise, are alluding to the indeed dis-continued (it is),
ill-conceived idea of Clang/C2 (C2 is the VC backend)) as opposed to
Clang/LLVM. MS, words from the mouth of STL (the man), is testing their STL
(the library) with Clang/LLVM, Boost should do the same. MS is, from what I
gather also a (one of the) contributors to Clang.

> The latest Visual Studio is not
> vaporware it is a released, shipping product which many people use to
> accomplish real work.

Yes, it was, but even today I upgraded to 15.7.5, to which I only upgraded
2 weeks ago or so. Today's 15.7.5 is also 'a shipped release'. If one has
any sense one pushes the button and get upgraded, particularly
non-corporates will do that.

And in fact, I suspect that Visual Studio
> actually fixed a bug which is what is causing this new compilation
> error.

It's better to first find out if the code should compile in the first place
by referencing it with the (compilation) result of a compiler that might
not have that (possible) bug.

This, to my eye, should not compile as the code appears in a class
> template where difference_type is a nested type of the base class and
> should not be visible unqualified.

This proves my point, iff clang would say it's shite as well, you're
99.999% sure and you know what to do, using VS will, at this moment, not be
conclusive in any way, shape or form (you're stabbing in the dark).

degski

--
*"If something cannot go on forever, it will stop" - Herbert Stein*