Subject: [boost] numeric directory/namespace
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-08-14 22:42:25

I'm preparing to make adjustments to safe_numerics directory and
namespace in preparation to incorporating safe_numerics into the
official boost distributions. I have a couple of decisions to make that
someone/everyone will want to weigh in on.

There is already a directory boost_root/libs/numeric which seems to be
an "umbrella" for libraries dealing with numerics. It includes
conversion, interval, odeint and ublas. There is an index.html in there
also. But instead of referring to the above libraries, it points to the
ublas documentation.

So it's sort of tempting the place safe numerics in libs as a sub
directory. But I really have strong reservations about the whole
concept of have this "umbrella" directory in the first place.
Personally I'd just prefer to use boost_root/libs/safe_numerics. I
don't think the extra structure adds anything and makes it harder to
implement tools which scan the directories. It would also mean that I
should ? use #include <boost/numeric/safe_numeric/ ....> and I'm not
sure want to do that.

Also I expect I'll want to sync the namespace
boost::numeric::safe_numeric:: ... with the file system.

It just seems more complex and flexible than it has to be. I see the
future of boost as diminishing coupling between libraries and I see the
current setup as not helping with this.

Please don't wait to answer until I've made the changes.

Robert Ramey