Subject: Re: [boost] [all] Request for out of the box visibility support
From: James E. King III (jking_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-08-19 14:31:01

On Sun, Aug 19, 2018 at 7:48 AM Antony Polukhin via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 17, 2018, 11:10 Andrey Semashev via Boost <
> boost_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
> <...>
>
> > I wonder if we should update Boost.Build instead and set visibility to
> > hidden by default. For libraies that need other visibility we could
> > offer a property.

I think a better solution is to remove link libraries where possible. For
example
in date_time there isn't much of a case to keep the linked library. If we
look at
the issue it causes like https://github.com/boostorg/date_time/pull/34, one
of the
solutions to that issue of visibility is to remove the link library
entirely. I'd have to
recommend all libraries attempt to become header-only to avoid these issues.
Obviously that won't work for all libraries, but it's possible for a number
of them.
I opened https://github.com/boostorg/date_time/issues/85 to track that for
date_time.

- Jim