Subject: Re: [boost] GNOME outreachy
From: Gavin Lambert (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-08-23 23:26:45

On 24/08/2018 11:09, Edward Diener wrote:
> Do you have more information to back up your assertions ? I know nothing
> about "outreachy" but I see nothing whatever in the description of the
> organization which suggests discriminatory practices. Or do you really
> believe that an organization for, let us say, people who have 6 fingers
> on their right hand, is discriminatory because people who do not have 6
> fingers on their right hand are being discriminated against ?

I know nothing about it either, but 5 seconds of Google found this page,
which indicates restricted membership:

     https://www.outreachy.org/apply/eligibility/

Scholarships being discriminatory is not a new thing (and are often used
to incentivise "balancing" a perceived inequity in the free market --
which some will argue is good and others will argue is bad).

This isn't framed as a scholarship, though, it's framed as an
internship, which is employment, which is restricting employment
opportunities based on race or gender or sexuality, which is fairly
universally regarded as bad. It doesn't matter whether it's the
majority or the minority that benefits; it's bad.

> Your other remark that Boost is interested in people who show expertise
> in C++ I agree with. But I do not see why Boost should only be
> interested in people who show expertise in C++ depending on what
> organization(s) they belong to.

That's a strawman argument. I don't think Boost cares whether someone
is a member of any organisation.

Being open to anyone who can write good C++ > being open to anyone who
fits specific personal characteristics not under their control.