Subject: Re: [boost] [range] #11202: boost.sort header conflicts with boost.range header
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-08-29 02:38:17

On 8/28/2018 10:16 PM, James E. King III via Boost wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 25, 2018 at 10:31 PM Steven Ross via Boost <
> boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> https://svn.boost.org/trac10/ticket/11202 has been sitting for years.
>> The "using range::sort" causing the namespace pollution needs to be
>> deleted, and then everything depending on that inside boost needs to
>> be fixed. This will break people dependent on the namespace
>> pollution, but that's the only way to clean it up. Is anyone willing
>> to take on this cleanup?
>>
>> Is there a good way to identify cross-library dependency breakages in
>> situations like this so they can be fixed?
>>

> Thanks for bringing attention to this.
>
> If you do not get any satisfactory answer from maintainers of the libraries
> mentioned
> then let us know, so the CMT can reach out and if needed assume
> responsibility for
> maintaining any abandoned work

Boost.Range does the same thing with all its algorithms, lifting their
names into the boost namespace. I gather this was done to mimic the
std:: algorithms dealing with iterators and with the idea that no other
library would use the name of standard algorithms within the boost
namespace for any purpose. I am sorry that this was not caught when
Boost.Sort was initially reviewed, especially as I was the review manager.

.