Subject: Re: [boost] Let's stop distributing binaries
From: Gavin Lambert (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-08-29 23:28:52

On 30/08/2018 10:43, Peter Dimov wrote:
> This is all irrelevant anyway because we don't ship binaries except on
> Windows where we don't have a problem with them.
>
> Linux binaries are shipped by the distros, not us.

+1

Although I do think that the Getting Started advice, especially for
Linux, should be more up-front about reminding users to ensure that the
C++ std levels of Boost and the application match each other. And
possibly should be included in the default library name as a reminder /
ABI separator.

(Or encourage distros to ship multiple builds with --buildid, or a
simple way to create a composite build that will work correctly with any
user-selected -std.)