Subject: Re: [boost] Let's stop distributing binaries
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-08-30 08:48:28

When I first started with Boost, so long ago I have forgotten exactly when, this was also my experience and I complained repeatedly
and loudly at the time but the response was zilch .

The 'Getting started' instructions seem nice, but they assume a vast amount of knowledge that many users do not know and *should not
need to know*.

> After many *dozen* hours fighting with b2, digging through terrible b2
> documentation, and googling for people who had successfully built boost on
> windows,

I remember similar years of fun!

> I finally got my static libs out! It was a nightmare that still
> motivates the work that I do to make binaries available.
> I have great respect for where this request comes from. I wish every
> developer (especially the ten years ago me) could easily understand how to
> build their own copy of boost. However, I think we as a community need to
> spend a lot more time thinking about the end-users who want to use boost
> but aren't already familiar with it.

+1

Paul