Subject: Re: [boost] A possible date for dropping c++03 support
From: Glen Fernandes (glen.fernandes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-08-30 15:54:33

On 8/30/2018 8:02 AM, Mike Dev via Boost wrote:
> [snip]

Looks generally good. A few things:

> [Add some fluff here?]
1. No fluff.

> - Problems that only manifest on not supported compilers [1] or in c++03
> mode will not block a release, and will probably not be fixed at all.

2. Just "will not block a release". No "probably not be" part. This
announcement does not need to speculate on what individual library
maintainers will do. Let users contact the library maintainers if they
want that support.

> As always, individual library maintainers are of course free to continue
> their support of older language versions and compilers and we generally don't
> expect the introduction of a lot of new c++11 code without a clear benefit.

3. This should also just end at the "free to continue their support of
older language versions and compilers" part. No "and we generally
don't" part. If a library maintainer wants to introduce new C++11 and
break compatibility, the users should not be given avenue for
complaint if they feel it is "without clear benefit".

> However, many libraries may become incompatible with c++03 just by virtue of
> depending on another library that previously supported 03 but now starts to
> use c++11 features.

4. Drop this part entirely. If a library stops working in C++03 mode,
it stops working. Users can contact the library maintainer and ask for
them to support C++03. If Boost.X fails in C++03 mode because it
depends on Boost.Y, the users don't need to care that the reason it
fails is because of Boost.Y, their point of contact is Boost.X's
library maintainer.

> Obviously, this change will only effect libraries that have supported c++03
> before. Libraries that already supported compilers and/or newer language
> versions are unaffected.

5. This seems obvious and not worth mentioning, but up to you.

> If you want to continue to use boost in a project that has to stay compatible with
> c++03, recommendation is to stick to the last release before the switch
> (probably 1.72).

6. Drop this part too. Users who want to be on latest Boost because
they use Boost.X C++11+ library and Boost.Y C++03-compatible library
should feel equally encouraged to do.

> [add some more fluff?]

7. Same as #1. No fluff.

The rest is great.