Subject: Re: [boost] [cmake] Pull request announcement
From: Stefan Seefeld (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-09-14 17:42:47

On 2018-09-14 12:14 PM, mike via Boost wrote:

> Whatever build system you are using "leaks" to your users,
> because it e.g. determines how the user can make sure, that your
> library is compiled with the same compile flags as the rest of the program or
> how transitive dependencies are communicated upwards. It also determines
> how easy it is to integrate your library in a package management system and
> so on.

I know all that. That's indeed part of a library maintainer's
responsibility.

> Obviously I can't force you to do anything, but cmake is not "my tool".
> For better or for worse, cmake has emerge as the common denominator -
> as far as anything is "common" in the c++ world - and life in the OS world
> just becomes so much easier if everyone supports a common default
> instead on insisting on their own proprietary solution.

Sorry, that never worked. New tools and processes appear (and disappear
!) all the time. That's no reason to impose on any project maintainer to
switch to whatever is en vogue.
Again, I'm not arguing for or against a specific set of tools. I'm
arguing against the very idea to force >150 projects to adopt the same.

So, to get back to the original announcement: all your effort and good
intentions notwithstanding, I believe you shouldn't even try to
contribute such infrastructure, unless of course your are fully
committing to maintain it all, i.e. allow me to forward each and every
bug report I'm going to receive on my projects that is related to that
build logic.

Stefan