Subject: Re: [boost] [cmake] Pull request announcement
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-09-18 21:25:45

> As far as I understand, the problem with `make test` is that it doesn't
> build the tests. To build them, one does `make all test`, which (a)
> requires tests to be built as part of the "all" target - which we don't
> want - and (b) doesn't work with -jN. And `make all && ctest` has the
> problem of test executable build errors not being part of the ctest
> output.

To clarify, this understanding of mine comes from

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/733475/cmake-ctest-make-test-doesnt-build-tests

> So the custom "check" target that just invokes `ctest` and depends on all
> test executables is a workaround for the above.

https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/community/wikis/doc/tutorials/EmulateMakeCheck

What I still don't get however is that, by the look of it, this `make check`
emulation will fail when one of the test executables fails to compile,
thereby aborting the whole test procedure, which is not what we want.