Subject: [boost] [cmake] Pull request announcement
From: Mike Dev (mike.dev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-09-19 16:31:07

I (believe) I know about the arguments to not use glob expressions for
discovering sources. I happen to still be of the opposite opinion that
globbing is still preferable to manually maintaining a large lists of source
files, but as you can see, I don't use globbing in the library cmake files
I propose.
I see even less reason to avoid globbing when searching for cmake files in
subdirectories of boost/libs, which it is in the top level PR, but I've no
problem with changing that too [1].

What I don't understand however, is why the subdirectories need to be fed to
cmake in dependency order. CMake is perfectly capable of resolving dependencies
it sees in reverse order and I have a lot of projects that add the used library
subdirectories in alphabetical order (or something completely different) and
haven't encountered any problems.

And what exactly do you mean by "a linear dependency chain"?

Mike

[1]
I'd prefer to have discussions about the top level cmake file at the actual PR
(https://github.com/boostorg/boost/pull/193), but two notes on globbing upfront:

1) Not globbing means that every time a new library adds a cmake file and wants
   to hook up to the project wide mechanism, a new PR to the top level project
   needs to be merged (in addition to any automatic update of the submodule).
   I can see that this can be seen as an advantage as well as a disadvantage,
   but wanted to call it out regardless.
2) Even if no globbing is being used, there should be a mechanism to only add
   a subdirectory if the folder/CMakeFile it is actually present (often I don't
   want to clone all of boost but just a defined subset). Maybe that makes
   some of the arguments against globbing moot.