Subject: Re: [boost] [cmake] Pull request announcement
From: Stefan Seefeld (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-09-26 20:51:09

On 2018-09-26 03:32 PM, Peter Dimov via Boost wrote:
> Stefan Seefeld wrote:
>
>> Why are you making things so complicated ?
>
> Because they are, by nature. If you already have Boost installed, you
> already have the library.

Wrong. I'm working on a couple of Boost libraries, so I regularly want
to compile them (specifically, HEAD of the development branch, or some
feature branch, etc.). I may have installed Boost libraries as system
packages (apt-get, dnf, vcpkg, whatever package manager my development
platform uses), but these typically are older versions of Boost, which I
only use because I know the the API I'm using is stable.

So my desire to build stand-alone may either be driven by my not wanting
to check out and compile all my Boost prerequisites all the time, or I
may be specifically interested in testing my libs against specific older
versions of Boost.

> Since you want to install that same library, it must be somehow
> different than the one already installed.

I do not want to install the library (the one I'm working on), at least
not while I'm developing it. What I'm asking is to be able to *build*
(read: develop) it stand-alone.

> Hence, it's a different version from the installed Boost, and
> consequently if code using the two is linked together, Things Will Be
> Happening.

I know, but as I said, I see no reason to consider that situation here
precisely because it is dangerous and causes "things to happen".

Stefan