Subject: Re: [boost] Will boost support DTLS / UDP?
From: Vinnie Falco (vinnie.falco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-09-29 18:58:48

On Sat, Sep 29, 2018 at 9:50 AM jupiter via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> It seems to me that Boost does not support DTLS so far, any plan and time
> line for boost to support DTLS?

There's a pull request for adding DTLS to Asio which is now over 2 years old:

<https://github.com/chriskohlhoff/asio/pull/129>

This is just my opinion, but given the lack of responsiveness of the
author to GitHub issues and pull requests, I would not expect to see
it appearing in Asio any time soon, if at all. That said, Asio's
concept-based design should be powerful enough to allow anyone to
write a DTLS implementation on top of it, as I have done for HTTP and
WebSocket in Boost.Beast.

It is about time we stopped expecting one person to write everything
and started sharing the responsibility for filling in the missing gaps
in the networking support for C++. If anyone wants to take up the task
of turning that pull request above into a stand-alone library, I would
be more than happy to mentor them and provide Asio guidance and best
practices advice.

Thanks