Subject: Re: [boost] [container][interprocess][intrusive][move] Removing support for old compilers
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-10-01 14:31:31

On 10/1/18 4:58 PM, Ion Gaztañaga via Boost wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My libraries have supported quite old compilers, starting from Visual
> 2003 and GCC 3.4 and I'm asking for feedback before I start dropping old
> compilers. The number of supported plus locally+regression tested
> versions has increased a lot these years and that's a lot of work with
> reduced benefits.
>
> My first idea is to drop anything older than 10 years, which means that
> the minimum will be MSVC 9.0 and GCC 4.3 (both released in 2008).
>
> Thoughts, problems, comments?

I don't think there is any significant demand for ancient compilers like
MSVC 7.1 or gcc < 4.1, so I'm perfectly fine with dropping them. Your
list of supported compilers looks ok to me, even a little on the
conservative side. I would drop gcc 4.3 as well, despite it is used in
SLES 11. Old enterprise distros are not very representative, since new
Boost releases are unlikely to be used there anyway.