Subject: Re: [boost] Boost CMake support - Request for Comment
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-10-09 23:40:31

On 10/8/18 5:40 PM, Edward Diener via Boost wrote:
> On 10/8/2018 6:46 PM, Richard via Boost wrote:
>> In article <ppge4m$2d5$1_at_[hidden]>,
>>      Edward Diener via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]> writes:
>>
>>> Boost Build has a feature which allows the programmer to test at build
>>> time what C++ features are supported for a particular compiler
>>> implementation and compile parameters, and change the build internally
>>> on-the-fly accordingly. I do not know if any Boost non-header only
>>> library uses this feature but if one does it will be difficult
>>> translating this to CMake terms, if such a similar feature exists in
>>> CMake.
>>
>> CMake has supported this for years, it is not a blocking issue.
>
> Good ! Then I am sure you will be glad to be nominated as the person who
> converts all instances of the Boost Build use of this feature, in any
> Boost library which uses it, to the exact equivalent in CMake. It is
> great to know that you have volunteered to do this for Boost !

I don't think that at this point you can presume that such a person
would be necessary. But then again I don't presume it wouldn't either.

I'm going restate this as a suggested requirement:

"Any new CMake implemenation for Boost shouldn't require non-trivial
efforts on existing libraries by library developers."

I'll take this under advisement.

Robert Ramey