Subject: Re: [boost] Boost CMake support - Request for Comment
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-10-15 21:14:07

Edward Diener wrote:
>>> My point is that you can not ask each library maintainer to re-invent
>>> what he already uses from Boost config and/or Boost predef.

It should be noted here that CMake's philosophy with respect to C++ feature
checks is different from Boost.Build's one. While in b2 we [ require
cxx11_constexpr ] and do not build if this is not satisfied, in CMake one
does target_compile_features(... cxx_constexpr) and then this requirement is
propagated upwards to the targets that depend on the target requiring
constexpr, the effect being that the top target is automatically compiled
with -std=c++11.

That's how CMake works and we probably should respect it and not try to swim
against the current and try to force it into what we do now.

Either way, this is basically the least of our worries. CMake can easily do
all manners of configure-style checks.