Subject: Re: [boost] Boost CMake support - Request for Comment
From: Alexander Grund (alexander.grund_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-10-16 14:22:21

> Programmers are notorious for estimating the work to do any
> programming as about an order of magnitude less than it really takes <g>.
True ;) So essence: Very low effort to port this to CMake due to
existing bjam code
> What is the difference in CMake terms ? In Boost Build I am fairly
> sure the checks are done on demand, and usually involves some sort of
> compile/build/run/test-result cycle which would make pre-testing all
> checks in a library, and holding the result for further inquiry,
> pretty expensive.
On demand: User calls a function and uses the result (see example)
Eager: All checks executed on including the CMake file. (Note: Results
are cached, hence this overhead is only once for all libraries for the
mono-build), yes high overhead for a single lib, but this is what CMake
also does to e.g. get compiler type, version, OS, ... and usage is
easier (no additional calls, see examples)