Subject: Re: [boost] "peer reviewed" - Rights and responsibilities of maintainers
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-10-16 17:12:09

On 10/16/18 8:49 AM, Mike Dev via Boost wrote:
> [...]

If the test is bad/irrelevant, what else should I say. I have no
problem if the author want's to improve his test. It's just not happening.

>> On the last version I looked at - since no there is not
>> BOOST_CLASS_EXPORT(class name) invoked, there are no indexed entries in
>> the extended type info tables so get_key() should return null under any
>> circumstances.
>
> If I understand this correctly, the purpose of the test is to show that the
> application crashes. In that case, the return value is completely irrelevant.

I haven't seen the application so I don't know why it crashes. I'm
guessing that it might be related to the current (and recently improved
state) singleton. I DO know test_exported_dll also crashes on one
compiler configuration. I would like to fix this but so far no one has
been able to provide a convincing change nor a test which points out
where the problem might be.

> If you think that crash is not the fault of Boost.Serialization (e.g. because
> it is used wrongly), then it would be helpful to explain what you believe to
> be the actual reason for the crash.

Which crash: in his app, in test_exported_dll, or in his test?

> What I don't know: Is there a travis build that shows that the test from Flamefire
> (https://github.com/boostorg/serialization/pull/111/files ) still fails
> with the changes introduced by Robert (I'm not sure when they were introduced)?

Right - that are the exact same results which result from Alexander's
original patch. That is, I merged in a simpler, less intrusive, less
fragile version of Alexander's patch. And it "fixes" everything that
Alexander's patch fixed. Clearly there are still some problems left -
which are likely to be even more difficult to nail down. Note that to
get this far has required 9 months of effort - part of which entailed
including a breaking patch in to the release.

Under ordinary circumstances, I would just fix Alexander's test and be
done with it just to save time. But I've come to understand that it
won't actually save time so I haven't done so.

Robert Ramey