Subject: Re: [boost] "peer reviewed" - Rights and responsibilities of maintainers
From: Dominique Devienne (ddevienne_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-10-18 15:26:31

On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 5:17 PM Robert Ramey via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> [...] Now we call a plugin which includes
> another boost library - statically linked this time. The plugin will
> use the statically linked version of the C++ runtime library.

I don't think so. The plugin can link statistically against its
dependencies,
while still linking against the dynamically linked C++ runtime.

I used to do that for Java extensions. The JNI library linked with all its
C++ dependencies
statically, so it's a single self-contained shared-library one could then
java.lang.System.load()
w/o having to mess with PATH or LD_LIBRARY_PATH, yet still linked against
the dynamic runtime
if I recall correctly (that's over 10 years ago).

This is a legitimate use case IMHO... --DD