Subject: Re: [boost] Draft copy - Call for Submissions - CMake for Boost
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-10-18 22:14:06

On 10/18/18 3:06 PM, Stefan Seefeld via Boost wrote:

>>> So, I would expect in a RFP to find requirements such as:
>>>
>>> * a solution must allow for a heterogeneous environment, where some
>>> Boost libraries are still built with Boost.Build, while others are built
>>> with CMake.
>>
>> I think this is a necessary conclusion given the other conditions.
>> Including, but not limited to:
>>
>>  *j) support of library modularity. This would mean:
>>    *1) independence of things outside the library directory structure.
>> To wit - no presumption about any "super project".
>>    *2) building out of tree
>>    *3) no need for installing libraries not used by the build target
>
> OK, these look good, but they don't imply that a heterogeneous setup
> needs to be supported. (Read: the above requirements could be met even
> if all libraries were switching to CMake)

True - and could be met if not libraries switched to CMake. Not that
there is not even a suggestion that boost build be replaced. Only that
the (optionally) the user be able to build any library with CMake. this
is all intentional. I didn't want to impose any more than the minimal
conditions.

> More importantly: I don't want anyone to interpret this as if a
> CMake-based solution that meets the above is implicitly approved and
> adopted by all maintainers. I expressly want to be able to keep using
> Boost.Build (or at least, not having to use CMake :-) ), so the
> requirements for heterogeneity go both ways: Boost.Build needs to become
> modular in that it needs to be able to accept prerequisite projects
> being built using CMake, and any CMake-based solution needs to be able
> to accept prerequisites that are *not* built using CMake.
>
> Even if these are implied in your interpretation of the above, I think
> it's reasonable to spell them out explicitly.

OK - I'll add in a sentence to make it clearer. Feel free to suggest
your own wording.

Robert Ramey