Subject: Re: [boost] [release] 1.69.0 deadline for new libraries approaching
From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-10-22 23:55:11

> Robert Ramey wrote:

> > > OK... do we want CMake config files installed by 1.69 or not, then?
> >
> > I'd like to know this as well. If so, I presume that we can consider
> > the Boost/CMake issues resolved and we can just move on from this?
>
> I doubt it. The CMake issue is much bigger than this.

To expand on that:

The Boost/CMake issues concern four scenarios:

1. CMake users who want to use a pre-built Boost from CMake, after
installing it either with `b2 install`, as usual, or via some other
mechanism;

2. CMake users who want to use Boost (or an individual Boost library) from
CMake without building it with b2 and installing it, but as a subproject,
built by CMake;

3. Building and installing Boost with CMake, replacing the current
Boost.Build building/installing infrastructure;

4. Testing Boost with CMake, replacing the current Boost.Build testing
infrastructure.

Installing CMake config files as part of `b2 install` falls into scenario
number 1. Boost is still built with Boost.Build as always, it's just that in
addition to libboost_foo.a, the user also gets libboost_foo.cmake, which
allows him to do `find_package(boost_foo)` from his CMakeLists.txt file.
Nothing more than that. This doesn't affect, doesn't target, and doesn't
address, scenarios 2-4 at all.