Subject: Re: [boost] [release] 1.69.0 deadline for new libraries approaching
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-10-23 18:36:55

On 10/23/18 11:17 AM, Peter Dimov via Boost wrote:
> Robert Ramey wrote:
>
>> And I place the html and pdf versions into the repo so users don't
>> have to build it.
>
> Placing the .html/pdf files into the repo is one - unquestionably
> modular - way to do it, but it does have its downsides.

Both true.

downside
- "wastes" a lot of space
- redundant - docs could get out sync with the code.

upside

- current documentation is always available to the user. In the two
libraries of mine - documentation is an important part and I don't think
the either would be usable without them.
- only needs to be built on one machine no hassle for users
- document build doesn't have to be "portable"
- potential users can easily browse the documentation before they
clone/download the package. This works well with github. I think this
is very valuable - especialy for safe_numerics which most people don't
actually see the need for. Call it a sales tool.

For me, this is was a pretty easy decision.

Robert Ramey