Subject: Re: [boost] The future and present of Boost
From: degski (degski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-10-24 08:00:22

On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 at 16:44, Robert Ramey via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> On 10/23/18 2:11 AM, degski via Boost wrote:
> > But maybe [some of those] TS's should be permanent fixtures, sort of like
> > associated libraries (SAL) [with added support in the language where
> > required, to accommodate those].

<snip>

I'm not sure what this says - but it might be on the right track.

> If doing a good job for something like network TS requires some changes
> in the core language, then maybe the committee should focus on just
> those "enabling" changes.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant to say.

> This would permit the development of network
> libraries untethered by the standard. So the network TS would be more of
> a use case, example, case study or whatever.
>
> The same could be said for 2d graphics. Perhaps some core facilities
> need to be added. Example might be standardizing a low level interface
> to SIMD graphics processors. If so, these would be suitable scope for a
> C++ committee.

 +1

At the same time, there are lot's of different visions
> for a 2d graphics package. Trying to sort through this and arrive at a
> consensus will just end up displeasing everyone.

With the current direction, I don't think any-one will care one single bit
and will just keep on doing what they always did. io2d does not address the
problem adequately, the scope is too limited and ends up being
turtle-graphics-2.0. vcpkg builds SFML and the required dependencies (quite
a few), all out of the box. In 20 (let's call it 2 cups of coffee) minutes
after issuing 'vcpkg install SFML' you're up and running, both debug and
release. The documentation and tutorials are excellent and the dev-forum is
helpful, patient [there are no stupid questions, there are only
in-experienced people] and reactive.

> And the above arguments apply to other stuff.

 Yes.

degski

--
*“If something cannot go on forever, it will stop" - Herbert Stein*