Subject: Re: [boost] The future and present of Boost
From: Raffi Enficiaud (raffi.enficiaud_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-10-24 22:43:41

On 24.10.18 10:32, Mateusz Loskot via Boost wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 at 00:41, Raffi Enficiaud via Boost
> <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> I would make an effort to end the life of some libraries, rather than
>> ending the life of boost or their maintainers. Boost should accept it
>> successes and its failures.
>>
>> - Is boost.test a success? I think it is, I am biased though. I would
>> love to drop support for C++03 to get rid of all the intra-library
>> dependencies that are polluting the usability.
>>
>> - Is uBlas a success? If we get things done to accelerate, certainly.
>> Otherwise I will just use Eigen as before.
>>
>> - Is GIL a success?
>> [...]
>
> Please, present a definition of success or failure as basis to
> qualify a library for removal from Boost.

That is exactly what I will *not* do, this is you to define the success
of the library you maintain :) You know your users and the ecosystem
around the library better than anyone else.

> FYI, GIL has been abandoned, but thanks to Stefan Seefeld,
> who joined long lonely wolf of GIL, Christian Henning,
> it's maintenance has been reactivated.

And I really congratulate you guys for what you achieved!

> <...>
>
> If, however, GIL is kicked out from Boost, it will not be the end of the world,
> neither for GIL nor for me personally as GIL user and maintainer.
> It would bring many challenges but also opportunities.

I never meant to put the finger on GIL as something to drop, quite the
opposite in fact in the light of the recent developments.

The point is: we should look at boost with fair criticism over the time
and the success of the individual libraries. This success may be within
boost, in the community created around that library, or anything else.

Some parts are being abandoned, they are simply not needed anymore, they
have their equivalent or better alternatives.

Raffi