Subject: Re: [boost] clang-win, again
From: degski (degski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-10-26 07:57:28

On Thu, 25 Oct 2018 at 18:42, Edward Diener via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> With that
> said using clang on Windows works reasonably well for me without having
> to use clang-cl, but whether targeting gcc or vc++ clang on Windows has
> remained problematical in the linking phase for nearly every clang
> release. I am now trying clang 7.0 to see if it is better.

If you want to use Clang, targeting gcc [which I guess means that you are
using MinGW], you should build Clang [clang++] with[in] MinGW and use it
there. What we [or I at least] am talking about is using Clang as a native
windows compiler [a drop-in for cl.exe], please don't keep on mixing up
those very different things [name mangling keeps getting in the way of
mixing "gcc-targets" with "vc-targets"]. If you wouldn't mix things up,
there would not be any linking issues, as out-of-the-box clang-cl will use
link.exe [the vc-linker]. Using lld with clang [beit ++, -cl or just plain
clang] works perfectly fine as well.

Other than the above gcc-targeting I don't see what [for you] comes in the
way of proper correct working linking [it works for the rest of us]. I
doubt clang-7.0 brings any relief in solving your problem, because the
changes in clang are not at that [basic] level, it also always worked fine
with clang-6, clang-5, clang-4, clang-3.9 and clang-3.8 [in respect of the
latter two, the number of ICE's were rather prohibitive for anything over
"Hello world.", though].

degski

--
*“If something cannot go on forever, it will stop" - Herbert Stein*