Subject: Re: [boost] clang-win, again
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-10-26 09:51:21

On 10/26/2018 4:04 AM, degski via Boost wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 at 01:37, Edward Diener via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
>
>> I have not attempted to build clang-8.0 under Windows. I ran into too
>> many errors in the past attempting to build clang on Windows, which were
>> ignored when I mentioned it on the clang developers list, to want to
>> keep pursuing another attempt.
>>

> It has become clear [following discussions on the cfe-dev mailing list]
> that vc/msbuild do(es) not scale well [enough] to build Clang/LLVM. The
> recommended [and what more or less seems to be the only way] is to use the
> combo Ninja/Cmake/VC. There are some spells [see llvm web-site] you could
> utter that allows you to bootstrap Clang with VC and then build Clang with
> the [that] latest Clang.

In the past when I tried to build clang from source under Windows I used
the Ninja/CMake/mingw-64/gcc chain to build. Sometimes I was successful
but many times there were errors and my efforts to try to find out what
was wrong on the clang user and developer mailing lists came to nothing.

> When I run the preprocessor tests using b2 with my toolset clang-7.0
>> targeting VC++ I get no errors at all, so I really do not know what you
>> are seeing or what you are doing to produce "lots of errors". I am
>> working with the 'develop' branch of Boost Preprocessor.
>>

> As far as I read, Edward said there were 2 errors, one of which he thought,
> could be ignored.

Not with clang. The errors I mentioned, in anoter thread, were with vc++
14.1 using the new vc++ preprocessor with the /experimental:preprocessor
switch.