Subject: Re: [boost] [parameter] Go C++11 and above only, or keep C++03 support?
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-11-03 16:13:24

Edward Diener wrote:

> > To give you a specific example, if Parameter drops C++03 support, `b2
> > install` will fail on all compilers where C++03 is default because Log
> > will fail to build. This is spelled "Boost 1.70 fails to build".
>
> I assume that the "dropping C++03 support" was also about building Boost
> for C++11 on up.

This was a response to Andrey's question which was essentially about why we
need to do anything on the Boost level to "drop C++03 support" rather than
accomplishing the same thing organically by doing nothing and letting
libraries drop it one by one.

"Building Boost for C++11" is an action taken on the Boost level. It's not
doing nothing and letting libraries drop it one by one.

To preempt the follow-up question of why can't Log just alter its Jamfile to
build for C++11 by default - because all of its dependencies will then
refuse to install as it will attempt to build them for C++11, whereas
they'll attempt to build themselves for C++03.