Subject: Re: [boost] [parameter] Go C++11 and above only, or keep C++03 support?
From: Glen Fernandes (glen.fernandes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-11-05 01:12:02

On Sunday, November 4, 2018, Edward Diener wrote:

> I am really surprised that after he discussion and general agreement that
> Boost would be dropping support for C++03 that there would still be
> objections for a Boost library going from C++03 to C++11, as Parameter
> wishes to do under the guidance of Cromwell Enage. Was not the discussion
> about dropping support for C++03 a pretty clear indication that retaining
> backward compatibility for C++03, in a library going to C++11, should no
> longer be desired ?

Is this a case of the official maintainer of Parameter choosing to drop
C++03 and make it a C++11+-only library? If so, under the model we
discussed and that had general agreement, nobody else can block this from
happening. i.e. There can be no objection. It would be the system working
as intended. Parameter would become C++11+-only and affected libraries
would have to do the same or drop the dependency on Parameter.

However: If this is a case of a library with no official maintainer, but
where a prospective contributor (or some community maintenance team) wishes
to do the above, and then solicits blessing/approval from affected
libraries' maintainers, and then one or more of those maintainers prefers
to find a solution that will retain C++03 compatibility: Then whatever
compromise was agreed upon between these parties would also be the system
working as intended.

Glen