Subject: Re: [boost] [release] Boost 1.69.0 Beta 1 Release Candidate 1
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-11-14 19:13:09

John Maddock wrote:

> >> That issue relates to something that we have never supported: building
> >> a library with one compiler and then using with another.
> >
> > It's more like we've always supported it, but didn't know that we did
> > until it broke. :-)
>
> Really?

In general, building with g++ and using from clang++ is commonplace on
Linux. And apparently so is building with one -std and using with another.

I admit however that I didn't know that the opposite (building with the
system clang++ and using from g++) was a practice on FreeBSD.

> There have been no code changes, it's always been this, and I've always
> assumed that this would not work.

It was probably the switch to hidden visibility that broke it.