Subject: Re: [boost] Current Guidance on Compiler Warnings?
From: Brian Kuhl (kuhlenough_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-11-21 16:23:20

The ideal is always to upstream, I've done a bit of that it past. Other
patches carry forward, but we certainly don't "try" to do that. When you
bundle open source you become focused on the release you've bundled and
rest of the world moves on. We are not like a big Linux distro that grabs
every new release. Upstreaming then requires moving your "fix" to the head
of the tree, and working with the maintainer to make sure it's portable and
generic and follows projects conventions. That takes time and effort, and
sometimes get's stalled in the "business" priority queue. I'm speaking
here of the primarily of proprietary VxWorks and Boost effort, Wind River
also has other products where the focus is different; and virtually the
whole product is "open" e.g. https://www.starlingx.io/ and the "value
proposition" for customers is different.