Subject: Re: [boost] question/guidence regarding merge to master
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-01-11 13:29:53

On 1/11/19 5:20 AM, Robert Ramey via Boost wrote:
> I'm looking to merge my develop branch into the master so that they will
> be in sync.  I'm thinking that this the changed in develop should be
> squashed so that the master branch doesn't included all the the
> intermediate changes made during the develop phase.  Is there any boost
> rule/practice/guidence regarding this?.  Ideally, I'd like to see the
> master have only one set of consolidated changes for each release.  But
> I'm not the person who decides these things or does the work.  Any
> insight by other parties would be appreciated.

I think, squashing commits when merging to master is a terrible idea
because it makes tracking differences between develop and master
difficult and tracking history of changes by master log virtually
impossible. I don't see why would anyone would want to do that.

There is also a possible issue with commit authorship, which is
presumably lost when you squash commits. Depending on how you deal with
commit messages, these might be lost as well.

Of course, the decision is yours, so you can do that if you want to. But
I hope you're not meaning to force-push to develop the squashed commits
because that would affect everyone using develop of your library. In
particular, it would break git pull. Also, it breaks superproject, which
now references non-existant commits from your git repo. IMO,
force-pushing to develop and master should be locked for all libraries.