Subject: [boost] [gsoc19][astronomy]
From: Pranam Lashkari (plashkari628_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-01-22 21:45:10

Hello everyone,
Last year I worked on the new astronomy library[0] and successfully
completed GSoC with the help of my mentor *Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira*.
In last GSoC, I completed basic coordinate systems and FITS file reading.

*Current State of the Library:*
Currently, this library has 7 basic astronomical coordinate systems
implemented (Alt-Az, CIRS, ICRS, Galactic, Geocentric, Heliocentric,
Supergalactic) which as actually wrappers around Boost::Geometry.
IO module provides support for FITS reading. Right now, It can read primary
HDU and image extensions.

Development during GSoC can be found on the master branch[1]
To preserve all the development done during the period of GSoC a separate
branch was created after completion of GSoC named "gsoc18"[2].
All the development done after the period of GSoC can be found on
develop branch[3]. No changes were merged to master after GSoC 18.

*Idea for Boost GSoC19:*
After communicating with the Boost::geometry community, integration of
Boost::geometry and Boost::units is not supported and without using units
scientific calculations are not error proof. As a result current coordinate
systems can not be used with large projects as there are high possibilities
of error. So this year I would like to implement Boost::unit with
Boost::astronomy::coordinate to provide a robust astronomical coordinate
system. Apart form this I would also complete the remaining parser for the
FITS to read complete file including all types of extensions. I am
targeting to complete the first coordinate system and FITS reader at the
end of this GSoC and making this library ready for its first release.

[0]: https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/projects/5503102778605568
[1]: https://github.com/BoostGSoC18/astronomy/tree/master
[2]: https://github.com/BoostGSoC18/astronomy/tree/gsoc18
[3]: https://github.com/BoostGSoC18/astronomy/tree/develop