Subject: Re: [boost] Review request for variant2, review manager wanted
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-02-25 22:05:07

>> > https://github.com/pdimov/variant2/blob/develop/benchmark/benchmark1.md
>>
>> These are very interesting and useful, thank you. I now have hard
>> evidence with which to persuade people at work that Boost.Variant
>> needs to be purged from our latency critical paths.
>
> Do read my follow-up message as well though. With
> -DBOOST_VARIANT_VISITATION_UNROLLING_LIMIT=1, boost::variant performs
> very well. (And even as-is, it also performs well with a more recent g++
> (8 or 9) than my 7.4.)

Oh you've already won a conditional acceptance vote from me no doubt. My
sole condition for acceptance is (you guessed it) propagation of
triviality of all special functions.

I also think after you're into Boost you should submit some more papers
to WG21 asking them to change the standard library to match your changes
to Boost. std::variant should be your variant2. I don't think anybody on
boost-dev would disagree with that.

I'll be physically attending the next four WG21 meetings. I intend to be
in the room to argue strongly in favour of your papers on this topic.
Even if it mildly breaks a small proportion of pre-C++23 code.

Niall