Subject: Re: [boost] Running regression tests for msvc-14.2 (preview)
From: Gavin Lambert (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-02-27 06:49:24

On 27/02/2019 18:35, degski wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 at 06:19, Gavin Lambert wrote:
>
>> It probably should be better about reporting use of unknown versions --
>> this is the third query I've seen about this recently.
>
> We went there already, no? No, that's where we came from in fact. That [see
> those warnings pop up the whole time] wasn't very helpful either.

No, that was different. Previously Boost.Config would show a warning
that it didn't know what the compiler was, which wasn't particularly
helpful. (Although part of that was that it didn't identify the source
of the message very clearly.)

What I was suggesting is a warning/error from Boost.Build itself stating
that the version explicitly specified in the user-config.jam file is
"wrong", as this is a more direct configuration error.

Having said that, what might be even better is that if a higher number
than supported is specified, it (both Boost.Build and
Boost.Predef/Config) could use the same settings as the highest one it
does know about (but still use the specified version number in the
library naming conventions, to maintain side-by-side deployment and
reduce compatibility confusion).

The results might still be less than ideal, but assuming compiler
vendors maintain backwards compatibility (which granted is not always
valid) it's probably a good start until Boost can be updated to properly
recognise it.