Subject: Re: [boost] [variant2] Need rationale for never-empty guarantee
From: Andrzej Krzemienski (akrzemi1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-03-02 10:44:08

sob., 2 mar 2019 o 10:36 Andrey Semashev via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
napisał(a):

> On 3/2/19 11:56 AM, Andrzej Krzemienski via Boost wrote:
> > sob., 2 mar 2019 o 07:35 Emil Dotchevski via Boost <
> boost_at_[hidden]>
> > napisał(a):

> >> Running out of memory, or out of some other resource, does not indicate
> >> bug. In response, under the basic exception guarantee, you may get a
> state
> >> which I'm saying shouldn't be merely "destructable" but also valid. For
> >> example, if this was a vector<T>, it shouldn't explode if you call
> .size(),
> >> or if you iterate over whatever elements it ended up with.
> >>

> > This is where my imagination fails me. I cannot imagine why upon
> bad_alloc
> > I would be stopping the stack unwinding and determining size of my
> vectors.
> > This is why I ask about others' experience with real-world correct code.
>
> That is not an unimaginable scenario. If you have two branches of code,
> one requiring more memory but better performance, and the other that is
> slower (or maybe lacking some other qualities but still acceptable) and
> less resource consuming, operating on the same vector, you will want the
> vector to stay valid if memory allocation fails. Although not
> specifically with vectors, I had cases like this in real world.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
I am not sure we are on the same page here. Are you describing an operation
where an operation on vector fails to allocate more storage and therefore
throws and leaves the *value* of the vector unchanged (i.e., an operation
with strong exception safety guarantee)? Or are you describing an operation
that reuses memory owned by a vector and discards the vector's value? Boith
these cases can be described as "never observing the value after a failed
operation with a basic exception safety guarantee". Or are you describing a
different situation?

Regards,
Andrzej