Subject: Re: [boost] Coordinating Boost Releases with compiler releases
From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-03-14 15:19:22

Andrey Semashev wrote:

> On 3/14/19 5:53 PM, Marshall Clow via Boost wrote:

> > In the thread "MSVC 2019 and 1.70 beta", there has been a discussion
> > about what to do about support for MSVC 2019, which is due to be
> > released right about the same time that Boost 1.70. One person
> > suggested that we delay the boost release until after the MSVC release
> > (I think the suggestion was "May").

> I agree with you, compiler (or other software) releases are not the reason
> to shift Boost releases.

Please don't redirect the discussion into irrelevancy. There is no need to
delay Boost 17.0 (Apr 10) until after VS 2019 (Apr 2), because in this
universe time flows forwards, not backwards. And "May" was a flippant
reference to Theresa May, not the month of May.

The subject under discussion is whether we should release, in 1.70, the
Boost.Build changes that enable VS 2019 (currently in develop but not in
master), and if so, how.