Subject: Re: [boost] [gsoc19] Seeking a mentor for Boost.Geometry project related to triangulation and random sampling
From: Vissarion Fisikopoulos (fisikop_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-03-19 13:22:49

Hi,

some more comments here.

> > One projects can be a lot of work and you propose to work on 2 at the
> > same time. Are you certain you'd like to do it? Or is it maybe
> > because both projects are somehow related, i.e. one is needed by the
> > other?
>
> There is a relation in the sense that I think that a fast (not necessarily
> Delaunay) triangulation algorithm and a triangle concept are beneficial for
> a random point generator that generates points uniformly distributed inside
> a polygon (and this is probably true for higher dimensions as well). For a
> large number of points, I found that directly sampling to triangles
> outperforms a rejections sampler.

As far as I know there are (at least) 3 ways to generate random
points: a) rejection-acceptance, b) triangulation + simplex (triangle)
sampling, c) random walks. You found (a) slower but I guess this
depends on how you implement membership for the geometry (given a
point answer if it is inside of outside geometry). With a fast
membership rejection sampling should be very competitive. So I think
it make sense to implement both a,b (and maybe some c methods that
would be useful for sampling on boundary) and test for which cases the
one is faster than the other. Finally, since you mention high
dimensions, there (a), (b) are very slow as dimension grows (size
oftriangulation has exponential dependence on dimension) so (c) is the
only way, but this is another story...

> [...]
> literature seem to be intuitively accessible enough to be implemented
> properly in a reasonable timeframe. The random samplers are, in my opinion,
> a simpler problem than the triangulation, so they can be completed afterward
> but still within the GSoC. I am certain that I can produce a good quality
> implementation with proper tests and documentation of the proposed features
> in the GSoC work period with reasonable effort.
>
> > What coordinate systems are you planning to support? Cartesian,
> > geographic, etc. In case you decided to implement algorithm for one
> > coordinate system, would the same algortihm theoretically work with
> > different ones or would different algorithm be required?
>
> Regarding the random generators: Generally, uniform sampling can be done in
> geographic coordinates using an equal-area transformation from the cylinder
> to the sphere, and I have considered that in the proposal (last paragraph
> before milestones).
>
> However, I imagine that in GIS applications one is usually interested in
> very small subsets of the sphere so rejection_sampling would be
> prohibitively expensive. In the programming competency test, I implemented a
> more efficient sampler for convex polygons by decomposing it into triangles
> and sample uniformly on triangles.
>
> I suppose the most obvious approaches would be to do the same thing for
> polygons on spheres (I've found a straightforward way to do that in
> literature: https://www.graphics.cornell.edu/pubs/1995/Arv95c.pdf ) or to at
> least chose some box or polygon in cartesian coordinates so that its image
> (under an equal area transformation) covers the interesting area of the
> sphere and not too much more, take uniform samples in it, map them to the
> sphere, and reject them if necessary.
>
> I'd be thankful for input from potential users of randomly generated points
> in geographic (or other) coordinate systems if there is more to consider.
> More on randomly generated points below.
>
> Regarding triangulation: In my literature research for the proposal, I
> concentrated on Delaunay triangulations in cartesian coordinates. I've
> looked into the spherical case and there is a lot of literature for that as
> well, for example, this paper on adapting Fortune's algorithm to spheres (
> http://www.e-lc.org/tmp/Xiaoyu__Zheng_2011_12_05_14_35_11.pdf ). I've seen
> very intuitive approaches to that using complex hull algorithms and
> projections to the sphere. I don't know how well and with how much effort
> the algorithm I've linked in my proposal translates to triangulations on
> spheres but I will think about it.
>
> Do you know how much interest there would be in Delaunay triangulations on
> spheres and what the usual use case would be? If someone enters 3 points
> does he want a decomposition of the sphere into 4 triangles or would one
> usually be interested in the triangulation of a small subset of the sphere?

Delaunay triangulations on a sphere can be used for maritime zone
determination (but I am not the right person to speak about
applications ;) For a more robust approach you can have a look at this
paper: https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-3-642-13193-6_39
and this implementation in python:
https://github.com/tylerjereddy/py_sphere_Voronoi

I discuss about Delaunay and Voronoi without taking care of splitting
the discussions since those two are equivalent and I think that your
Delaunay implementation should also made it possible to the user to
compute the Voronoi (probably two interfaces that share the same
implementation).

Best,
Vissarion