Subject: Re: [boost] GSoC : Boost.Geometry: Generic Geometry Library
From: Adam Wulkiewicz (adam.wulkiewicz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-03-20 18:18:48

Hello Sarah,

Sarah Arrey Via Boost wrote:
> Dear Sir/Madame,
>
> My name is Sarah Arrey. I am a student in the University of Buea, Cameroon.
> I have written professional programs in C++. As a result of my Anglo-Saxon
> culture, and currently in the faculty of science, I have good knowledge in
> mathematics beyond that of the high school; my country is Bilingual
> (English and French). I am interested in applying for the following two
> projects:
>
> PROJECT 3: Implementation of Algorithms for Computing the Delaunay
> Triangulation
>
> PROJECT 4: Implementation of Algorithms for Random Point Generation
>
> I am willing to forward code for the Programming Competency Test, when
> applying.
>
> How do I get started?

This is the same message as I've already sent Indira before. In all
cases the general guidelines are the same. Just in case I'm sending it
to you too. If you have questions about something specific just ask.

Thanks for your interest in Boost.Geometry. Since you're asking a
question here you already started well. You've most definietly read
Boost's GSoC wiki, but just to be sure here are the links:

https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code%3A-Overview
https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code:-2019

The next thing would be to get familiar with the literature on the
subject/subjects you've choosen. We put some links on the wiki for you
to guide you but you should also do research, find and decide which
algorithm performing computation you'd like to implement. If you'd like
to propose new algorithm or extend the proposal feel free to do it.

At the same time you should write a program for competency test if you
don't have an existing library to share. Ideally the code you write
should show that you can understand techniques used in Boost.Geometry
and can use them to solve problems.

So you should also get familiar with the documentation of Boost.Geometry
and the code of the library:

https://www.boost.org/libs/geometry
https://github.com/boostorg/geometry

and have an idea how the development workflow looks like:

https://github.com/boostorg/geometry/wiki/Contribution-Tutorial
https://github.com/boostorg/geometry/wiki/Guidelines-for-Developers

Last but not least I advise you to focus on the quality of the proposal
and competency test code rather than quantity.

Adam