Subject: Re: [boost] [release] Boost 1.70.0 Beta 1 is now available
From: degski (degski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-03-22 05:32:13

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 at 02:13, Raffi Enficiaud via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 19.03.19 16:08, Rainer Deyke via Boost wrote:
> > On 19.03.19 12:40, degski via Boost wrote:
> >> On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 at 11:44, Rainer Deyke via Boost
> >> <boost_at_[hidden]>

> >> The correct header should be/is 'Windows.h', it's capitalized, MinGW
> >> has a
> >> similar problem, IIRC.
> >
> > It's not capitalized in the 30 instances of '#include <windows.h>' in
> > Boost header files, including 3 from Boost.Test, and it's not
> > capitalized on my file system. It's also not capitalized on the
> > Wikipedia page, it's not /consistently/ capitalized by Microsoft
> > themselves, and even Microsoft are switching to lower case where
> > portability matters: see
> >
> https://github.com/Microsoft/WinObjC/commit/9e55e2a7cb67fe9a4b3fffb491f7eb621c4ca0b5
> .
>
> I just took the way it appears in the documentation:
>
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/api/synchapi/nf-synchapi-createwaitabletimerw

I don't know why you refer to that page, but when you get to the
business-end of that page, the "what to do bit", you find:

*Minimum supported client* Windows XP [desktop apps | UWP apps]
*Minimum supported server* Windows Server 2003 [desktop apps | UWP apps]
*Target Platform* Windows
*Header* synchapi.h (include Windows.h)
*Library* Kernel32.lib
*DLL* Kernel32.dll

 Where you can see that Windows.h is clearly capitalized (while other
headers, clearly (and correctly) are not).

Windows file system does not care whether it is capitalized or not, and
> MinGW should not be sensitive to that.

It does actually, ntfs is case-sensitive. For backward compatibility (I
presume), explorer, cmd.exe etc, add a case-insensitive layer on top of the
native file-system. Clang-cl warns about mis-matches in casing.

degski

--
*"Big boys don't cry" - **Eric Stewart, Graham Gouldman*