Subject: Re: [boost] [gsoc19] Seeking a mentor for Boost.GIL project
From: Mateusz Loskot (mateusz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-04-02 17:22:22

On Fri, 29 Mar 2019 at 06:41, Igor Antropov via Boost
<boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> DearSir/Madam,
>
> My name isIgor Antropov and I would like to participate in GSoC 2019.I amfirst-year undergraduate master majoring in Software Engineering at ITMOUniversity (Saint Petersburg National Research University of Information Technologies,Mechanics and Optics).I aminterested in computer vision and C++. I have made AR-application using Unityand OpenCVForUnity at my third-year of bachelor degree. Unfortunately, thatOpenCVForUnity was based on OpenCV version 2.1 or smaller and was the only onefree to use. There was no algorithm for markers detection, so I had to codeit. At the fourth-year, I have implementobject tracking algorithm with C++ and OpenCV using HOG features and colornames features. Additionally, I havebeen working as programmer with Qt for 1 year.
> I aminterested in implementation of different algorithms using GIL, so I propose toimplement some image feature detection and matching algorithms. For example,ORB keypoints detector(http://www.willowgarage.com/sites/default/files/orb_final.pdf) and brute-forcematching. Besides, I think Boost.GIL numeric algorithms can have some improvements (add 2D convolution, add convolve_option_extend_reflect as convolve_boundary_options). If Boost.GIL users need some other algorithms to be implemented,please contact me.
> As my competencytest, I have implement a simple Canny edge detection algorithm using GIL. https://github.com/boostorg/gil/pull/258

I suggest you to read through the Boost GSoC overview,
especially the "What students should do now" section
and pages linked from there

https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code%3A-Overview

Next, add overview of your proposal to Boost.GIL section here
https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code:-2019

As further preparation, check GIL's README;
https://github.com/boostorg/gil/blob/develop/README.md
and become familar with GIL's development guidelines
https://github.com/boostorg/gil/blob/develop/CONTRIBUTING.md

If you have any specific question related to any of those resources,
please, do not hesitate to ask!

Good luck!

Best regards,