Subject: Re: [boost] Enabling spectre mitigation in boost libraries
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-04-07 02:22:43

On Sat, Apr 6, 2019 at 1:48 PM Robert Ramey via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> Is the information easily available in the Boost Build documentation to
> do this? I think it should be. In fact I think every time a question
> like this comes it, the boost library and tool maintainers should add a
> section to the the boost build documentation: Example ... or Case Study
> ... . Since the same questions tend to be posted again and again,
> eventually the need to make such additions to the manual will will taper
> off. At that point all these kinds of questions can be answered with a
> simple "see example ... in the documentation (you lazy moron). So,
> though my suggestion seems like it would be creating more work, it's
> actually an investment of effort designed to diminish total amount of
> work required to support the tool.

These are not options pertaining to B2 itself. And hence have no mention in
the B2 documentation. You can see the options by doing:

$ cd boost-root
$ b2 --help

There are numerous install and build directory options listed in that. Use
the appropriate one. For the tagging there's a concept of "buildid" for
which there are two options present. The appropriate place to document
these in addition to the "--help" printout would be in the Getting Started
Boost pages. Or perhaps some other "Building Boost" documentation. Or
optionally the wiki. And it would seem that such "Case Study" examples
would lend themselves well to having on the wiki. Especially since it's
really, really, really, easy for everyone to contribute such documentation
through direct edit suggestion PRs to the wiki.

--
-- Rene Rivera
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything