Subject: Re: [boost] Enabling spectre mitigation in boost libraries
From: degski (degski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-04-07 14:10:24

On Sun, 7 Apr 2019 at 13:57, Rainer Deyke via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> ... versus the cost of failing to compile
> with spectre mitigation where it really matters.

 You don't think that the people who compile something relevant to the
world and relevant to them, know that this would be a good idea.

As a general rule, I tend to favor a safe-by-default approach (with the
> option to turn the safeties off if you know what you're doing).

The best way to drive a bicycle is obviously with side-wheels, a helmet on,
knee paddings and to never leave your drive-way. Once the [a] lib is
compiled with Spectre-Mitigations, there is no way of "turning it off". In
reality the problem is highly hypothetical as most (Windows) Boost users
seem to prefer to use out-dated compilers [and out-dated Boost for that
matter] and will not [be able to] use these spectre-mitigated-libs anyway.

degski

--
*Microsoft, please kill Paint3D*