Subject: Re: [boost] CMake, modular Boost, and other stories
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-04-23 21:56:59

On 4/23/19 2:28 PM, Mike via Boost wrote:

> I for one very much hope that boost (at least the libraries that
> are actively maintained) will become less coupled
> in the future, such that when I just want to use
> library X, the rest of boost doesn't come as a
> dependency with it.

Hmmm - so no boost library should include any other boost library? Does
that seem a good idea? It's always been good practice to not
repeat/copy functionality in one library into another.

I've said it many times before so I won't make a big deal about it here.
  But what is really needed - and it may already exist in BCP but hasn't
been promoted is a simple tool:

a) start with one's application
b) run the app through a tool which recurrsively reads headers
c) and creates a list of all headers needed
d) extract library names from that list
e) add the git repo of those libraries to my apps project.

I don't seen any way to get around this. And util we can easily do this
- boost will not be modular.

Robert Ramey